I’m always looking for yummy and nutritious recipes that can make use of leftovers, and these delicious Chicken and Vegetable Pies are the result of some left over roast chook and a handful of veggies floating around in the fridge and some greens from the garden.
I made these at short notice when a friend invited me over for a catch up one morning and I said I’ll whip up something yummy for lunch. Of course you don’t need to monogram your guests’ initial on each pie, but it was a personalised, homemade touch that the kids particularly loved!
I find that as long as you have some protein (chicken, fish, beef, lamb, turkey or pork), and a few vegetables to bulk it up, then you can make almost any variation of these pies – as many as your imagination will allow, pretty much!
I used tart molds but pie ramekins or even a muffin tray will also work well. Just remember to grease them first so the pies come out easily once cooked.
- 1/2 leftover roast chicken (approx 270g meat), roughly chopped
- 25g butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 100g mushrooms, chopped
- 25g kale, finely chopped
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 can baby corn, chopped
- spring onions from the garden (approx 12g)
- 50g grated cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon cornflour (or plain flour)
- dash of milk of cream (approx 1/3 cup, if you want a creamy chicken pie)
- 2-3 sheets frozen ready-rolled puff pastry